Thursday, January 6, 2011

What It's About

     Well, first things first; I intend this to be a blog about literature, science, history, politics, philosophy, atheism, food, music, movies, family, fatherhood, life and happiness.

     The title of the blog comes from a zen maxim that I crassly stole, because I am not buddhist, but that I found fitting for what I intend to try to do here. Anyway, the full saying is:

Great doubt; great awakening.
Little doubt; little awakening.
No doubt; no awakening.

     Too put it mildly, I have my doubts about many, many things that far too many people in this country and on this planet accept without question. I hope, over time, to be able to shed some light on why asking earnest, honest questions about these things is important, discussing why the commonly given answers nearly always fail, and ultimately, do my small part to raise the stature of that greatest tool we have for understanding the universe, doubt.

4 comments:

  1. I think a lot of people doubt, they simply don't have the courage to do it out loud or to do it in front of people they love/respect when their beliefs disagree with some of the core values of those they love/respect. Then there are others who may not doubt (partially because they haven't given most ideas/beliefs serious consideration) but are compelled to disagree and do so loudly. All of which leads to the question of which is better/worse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your comments, Bonnie, but I have to admit, I'm not quite sure what you were asking at the end. Sorry, for my confusion.

    I would say that the most important kind of doubt is not that which is necessarily expressed aloud, but the doubt within one's self which is honestly grappled with. When instead it is completely squelched, I think we are really done as thinking beings.

    Thanks for reading. I hope the writing is up to snuff, given the company you keep. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I meant...if we think it, if we have doubt and as a result of that doubt we investigate, we learn, we discern truth for ourselves, then we achieve a level of deeper understanding of who we are and where we fit in the world and relate to it. When we doubt and don't seek understanding, regardless of the reason, we are less.

    (As for the writing, you got it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got it. Yes, there is a difference between being cynical and being skeptical; the latter is a virtue, the former is just annoying.

    ReplyDelete